Saturday, November 04, 2006

Good for another year

This week I completed the tests for my annual cancer check-up. The good news is that everything is clean and in some instances it is even better than last year. I breathed a huge sigh of relief and marked one more year off the count that I keep in my head.

So it’s official… 4 years, cancer free!

Five year survival is the ultimate goal to which I have been striving for the last four. The odds of reoccurrence decrease every year, but the ultimate goal, the “magic number” is 5. After 5 years of clean tests I can be reclassified from “cancer free” to “remission.” Four years ago the thought of striving for a goal five years away way overwhelming and way too distant; Now that I only have one year to go, and four years behind me, it seems like a breeze. I always said that I wanted to do something significant to mark my 5 years, but I didn’t want to jump the gun and start planning it at year 1 or 2, but I think it might be time to start thinking seriously about how I want to mark this milestone in my life.

I am so fortunate to have the love and support of good friends and family members. Thank you! You are the best cheerleaders that a girl could ask for. I think that my friend’s husband said it best on the phone last night when he said, “So, you are good for another year! Congratulations!”

No comments: