Tuesday, October 21, 2008

An end to the email forwards??

While eating lunch at my desk today, I received an email message from my Mom. This isn't unusual, I receive at least 5 emails from her each and every day and not one of them is written by her, every one is something she has forwarded.

I handle all of these emails in the same manner. I scroll through the multiple headers (deleting this crap is apparently a foreign concept to the serial forwarder) from the previous senders until I get to the beginning of the message and begin reading. If it doesn't captivate my attention immediately, it gets deleted. If it is pertaining to golf, menopause, growing up in the 50's, or any other like minded subjects, it gets deleted and I momentarily ponder, "Why would she send me that?" If it is clearly an urban legend or something offering false information then I reply with a link that points out the problems/inaccuracies in the message. If the email requires you to forward to 10 people or more if you REALLY want your wish to come true then I delete it IMMEDIATELY! I had trouble with this last one for a while thinking that I have had my share of bad luck and am generally the kind of person that likes it when good things happen but I decided that I would likely bring myself better karma simply by not filling others email boxes with a bunch of crap.

So you can imagine how excited I was to see the following email today:

To: Darling Daughter, many others
From: Mom
Subject: FW: I'M STILL WAITING...

I'M STILL WAITING....

I did what you told me, I sent the email to 10 people like you said and I'm still waiting for that miracle to happen.



To all my friends who in the last year sent me best 'wishes', chain letters, 'angel' letters or other promises of good luck if I forwarded something, NONE OF THAT SHIT WORKED!

For 2009, could you please just send money, VODKA chocolate, movie tickets or petrol vouchers instead?

Thank you!

Immediately after reading it I dialed my mother's office phone and with great excitement asked if she was serious about not sending any more forwards. She laughed in a very maniacal way and said, "No!"

Damn! I was so hopeful!

No comments: