Monday, February 12, 2007

Monday Mutterings

I have been really bad at updates lately. I have read blogs in the past where the owner gives some lame ass excuse as to why they have been so lazy about updating and it just annoys me. So I am not going to tell you that I have been too busy with work and school and life to clean my bathroom let alone update my blog, instead I am going to share with you some of the things that have been rattling around in my brain for the last week or so.

==========

I love music! I love discovering new talent/artists and immersing myself in a new album. I know that my taste in music is unique and not at all what one may consider *mainstream* but I did the whole "Yeah, I LOVE this song" crap in my teens and twenties. Nowadays I have realized just how annoying it is to listen to music you hate, just to be nice. Needless to say that once I find an artist that I love, I am incredibly loyal. I like adding to my collection and try to stay up with the latest and hippest stuff. I pride myself on the fact that I can pick out the majority of songs from the hottest TV shows like "Grey's Anatomy" and "What About Brian" (e.g. the song used to promote the episode tonight is What About Everything" one of my favorites from Carbon Leaf's "Indian Summer" album). So I would classify myself a music fan and lover of good music. Yet I had absolutely NO interest in watching the Grammy Awards last night. It's commercialized crap! I don't know how else to put it. I have caught up with the Grammy news and highlights on the web and my thoughts:

  • Can someone tell me the difference between "Album of the Year" and "Record of the Year." I thought that albums were records and visa-versa.
  • I am a huge fan of John Mayer. I love his music. My questions - Does he ever smile? and hasn't he earned enough to hire a stylist.
  • Christina Aguleria and Shakira need to do something about the frizz.
  • Although I loved it when introduced, I am totally over James Blunt's Beautiful.
  • Why in the hell was Al Gore there?

Thank God for iPods, iTunes, KMTT and friends that share music. Otherwise I may be relying on the Grammy awards to tell me what is cool and what is not and then my taste would certainly suck.

==========

The greatest disadvantage to living alone is there is no one to put lotion on your back. I don't apply lotion everyday but when I do my back is neglected because there is no one around. This is currently the only reason that I would consider getting married so that I would have a legally obligated lotion applicator around at all times. And since that seems a bit extreme I have been looking for alternatives. I was complaining about this on Saturday afternoon to Don while playing pool and mentioned that Katharine had purchased a gadget that serves this very purpose and following a quick inquiry he learned that she had purchased it at the Vermont Country Store. I spent some time cruising their website yesterday afternoon and was unable to find such a gadget but I did find TONS of other treasures and many things that I didn't think they made anymore. It was so much fun to cruise through the pages of the website and reminiscent of the home I grew up in complete with toaster covers, chair cushions and Betty Crocker cookbooks. Some of the highlights included:

  • A hands-free dryer. I own a similar model that still works but is worn out. It was my mother's from the 1960's. I haven't known what I would do if it ever broke and now I know.
  • Tired Old Ass Cream. I think this is worth the try for the name alone.
  • Crack Care is a must try since I have tried nearly every product on the market for dry and cracked heals that plague me during the summer months.
  • Dippidy Do! Memories of my childhood and sponge rollers come flooding back.
  • Watch out Requip because you have a competitor with this Restless Leg Syndrome Cream.
  • Chair Pads for every chair in your home. These were impossible to find in Utah growing up.
  • Gauchos!
  • Electric Baseball! I always wanted one of these.
I don't know how I have survived this many years without the Vermont Country store! They have great stuff.

==========

I am thinking about getting a pet. I think I can handle a fish or two. I have had great success with fish in the past. I continue to ponder this. I am not ready to commit yet. I will let you know if anything changes.

==========

I watched the A Charlie Brown Valentine over the weekend. Although I have an utter hatred for Valentine's Day, I love the Peanuts gang and felt compelled to watch. It was annoying with Charlie Brown going on and on about "the little red haired girl" and Lucy being bossier and bitchier than usual because Schroeder didn't get her a Valentine again this year (somehow I am not surprisd). My love for the Peanuts gang wasn't able to overshadow my hatred of anything Valentiney.

==========

I finished moving all of my subscriptions from Bloglines to Google Reader over the weekend. I like the features of Google Reader better than bloglines and it's quicker and easier to navigate the pages. I am working with some different services for clippings and links but haven't settled on one yet.

==========

Don and I synced our music collections over the weekend. I spent some time yesterday adding music to my library and deleting duplicates. iTunes only automatically added 2,200 of the tracks, the remainder I am adding by hand and it's time consuming. I wish that iTunes had a feature that will automatically "hunt for audio files and add them to your library."

==========

I think that the death of Anna Nicole Smith is untimely and sad. The news that anyone is dead at the age of 39 is sad and tragic. I was not a huge fan of Anna Nicole and in fact she bugged me. When her reality show was on E! a few years back I tuned in once and it was so amazing to me that someone could be so incompetent and ditsy. Let's face it, she was a trainwreck! And we all take pleasure now and then with observing a good trainwreck! Yet it is hard for me to feel sorry for her when the majority of her misfortune was brought on by herself. I just feel badly that her daughter is now motherless.

Oh and a note to the media.... Would you PLEASE stop treating this news like it's the only thing happening in the world. I am sick of the top-story placement and coverage from every possible angle.

It's a wonder they haven't designed a special Anna Nicole logo like they do for storms.

==========

Okay enough for now. Have a good day!

No comments: