Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Tears and Chocolate Cake

I received some bad news about a friend in a phone call on my way home from work last night. I had several other teary conversations about it with others and thought that I had worked it out of my system. I was so wrong. When I finally climbed into bed and was surrounded by the quiet of the night, except for the tranquil tones of classical music, I lost it. I cried what Oprah would call an *ugly cry.* And then I tossed and turned all night.

This morning the news from last night is still heavy on my heart and my new boss has had me doing stupid and pointless data collection all morning. So when it was time for another cup of coffee this morning I walked into the kitchen and someone has brought in a huge chocolate cake. I decided that a piece of it would make me feel better about everything. It didn't work.

I remember a time in my life when crying and chocolate cake actually made me feel better. It was about 25 years about. I miss those days.

No comments: