Friday, January 19, 2007

What's ailing me?

It's Friday! I haven't been so glad to see a Friday come along in quite some time. I had a feeling this was going to be a long and difficult week and it has been. I got home around 6:30 p.m. last night. Earlier in the week I made plans to attend KMTT's 520 Funny CD Release Party, but at the end of the work day yesterday, I just could not imagine mingling and being personable, so I cancelled.

I went home to complete several items on my task list that I didn't complete at the office and enjoy Thursday night TV. I love Thursday night TV and wait all week for it. My multi-tasking brain worked out a perfect schedule for the evening. After changing my clothes and settling in, I would work for an hour while warming up dinner in the oven and then at 8:00 p.m. I would eat dinner and watch TV and after Grey's Anatomy I would finish up any remaining work that had to be done and review my school work.

It was a good plan, a solid plan! And yet it totally backfired. I ended up talking on the phone and only leaving myself about 40 minutes of quality work time. It's amazing what you can cram into a short period of time when you need to. I ate dinner while watching the beginning of Ugly Betty but was sound asleep on the couch by 8:35 p.m. My cell phone woke me up at 9:11 p.m. with a text message from my friend Heather who is a total Grey's Anatomy fan like me asking what I though about something from the episode (I am being vague on purpose as to not spoil it for anyone who has not seen it). I watched the remainder of GA but was in a drowsy state and remained mad at myself for falling asleep! After TV I finished what HAD to be done and went to bed.

I have spent a whole lot of my time this week in meetings and trying to block out the world at the office and be productive at my desk. This has resulted in me picking up a habit that I thought that I had gotten rid of - clenching my teeth. I have arrived home every day this week with a sore and achy lower jaw and a headache. One of my colleagues diagnosed it yesterday as an acute case of Bossitis. I was not totally familiar with this disease so I checked it out and this is what I discovered:

bossitis \ baws, bos - It-is \ noun
1. An acute swelling of the nerves caused by the irritating behavior of one's supervisor.
2. Marked by headaches, irritability, nausea, dread of the workplace
3. Most dangerous when swelling causes a rise in blood pressure and heart rate.
4. Treatment includes time away from the office, relaxation, peace and quiet.
5. Only cure is termination.

It may just be bossitis. :-) But relief is soon because the a peaceful weekend is right around the corner.

No comments: