Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The State of My Week

The governor of Washington delivered her State of the State address today. This inspired me to name tonight's entry, The State of My Week.

The song of the week, "Everybody Run The Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun." If you don't remember this 80's hit you can click on the link above to view the video. It's a bit off color considering the number of shootings that happen in our schools nowadays, but it's also a bit funny. I can't take credit for this funny song coming back into my life, it was Don.

Cooking Tip of the Week - When the directions call for milk, don't add Egg Nog. It makes really funky tasting Mac & Cheese.

Miracles do happen. One of my clients with an antique piece of equipment that they are replacing in September was saved from a very expensive repair because *it just started working again.* Crazy! But I'll take it.

I have a friend in Winnipeg Canada on business. It's -18 degree below zero (Celsius). BRRR!

We are expecting another winter storm in the Seattle area tonight. Many of my colleagues packed work and took it home in case they "can't make it in" tomorrow. The most shocking was someone who grew up in Pennsylvania. I pretty sure they get real snow in Pennsylvania and this storm is really nothing. I don't get it. I am so tired of the wimpy attitudes of my fellow Washingtonians. Everyone is freaking out and my buddy Steve &*%#ing Pool is predicting a trace to 3 inches of snow.

Sometimes I really kick butt at work. Today was one of those days. I walked into a situation hoping that it would turn out one way but sure that it would actually turn out the opposite way. I was so pleasantly surprised when it was resolved the way I wanted and quicker than I ever dreamed possible. Damn I'm good. ;-)

I am listening to Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 right now. This has been one of my favorite pieces of music for as long as I can remember. I have never seen it performed live. I have seen many other favorites performed live but ironically very little Bach and he is one of my favorites. We are going to the symphony on Saturday night to see the Seattle Symphony perform the Brandenburg Concerti. I can't wait! I get a huge smile on my face just thinking about it.

Is tomorrow only Wednesday?

When I arrived a work this morning there was a power cable laid out the entire length of the parking lot. I didn't think much of it. There is an empty lot adjacent to our building and they have been getting ready to develop it. I just assumed that was the case. One of my colleagues stopped by my desk around noon and commented on it and said that he thought it had been ripped out of the ground by thieves. I saw a story on the news about this last week but still thought it unlikely. Then later in the day I saw a utility worker gathering it up and putting it around a spool, once again I didn't think much of it. Then I saw another crew outside getting the spool of cable and putting it in their truck, and once again I didn't think much of it. Then I was getting ready to leave the office just after 5:00 p.m. and a utility worker knocked on the window. We let him in and he explained that it had been ripped out of the ground by thieves the night before. The second crew that I had seen picking up the cable was not a crew but the thieves. I am being interviewed by the police tomorrow. There goes my wish that 2007 would be "police interview" free.

I hate when people drop the ball and then give half-assed apologies. But even more than that, I hate when people patronize me.

The clock in my kitchen is one of those atomic clocks in which you don't have to set the time because it magically communicates with a satellite. On Sunday afternoon the clock started spinning around at an alarming quick pace, much like it does when it's setting itself. I thought maybe the battery was dying and figured that it would stop soon enough. But alas, it's still spinning. Crazy! I had left it alone because I wanted to see what would happen and I am shocked that it hasn't died yet. Now it's just driving me nuts, I think I will put a new battery in it before I go to bed.

Speaking of bed, it's that time. It’s cold out tonight and I can’t wait to crawl into my warm bed. Hope you are warm wherever you are.

No comments: