It seems that a man by the name of Keith Gormezano has requested the list of subscribers to the Mayor's newsletter. The list is available to anyone who asks for it but it seems as if Mr. Gormezano has requested it in the past and then has used the list to send unsolicited email. Nancy Craver of the Mayor's office stated, in the email, "Mr. Keith Gormezano requested this list in August of 2006 and subsequently used this list to send a personal email to all 2,300 subscribers. Although we are required to provide this list upon request, I wanted to inform you of the request as well as remind you of some options that you have to protect your personal information." Ms. Craver goes on to suggest blocking the known addresses used by Mr. Gormezano.
I naturally assumed that Mr. Gormezano would use the address to send out some type of politically minded solicitation. But after completing a google search on Mr. Gormezano I am not so sure. The initial hit was a link to his personal website. I spend a long time looking at the contents of the pages but my initial impression is that he quite the curmudgeon. Things I learned about him include:
- He is a self proclaimed Freelance Administrative Assistant.
- He was once a member of Mensa.
- He only donates money to causes where he gets something like a plaque or brick.
- He has a bizarre "cents" of humor.
- He spent a great deal of time in 1986 creating a fake company in order to be listed on numerous lists.
- He's used up 75% of his allotted 20,480 KB of space of his yahoo group site to post legal documents about a former employers financial disclosures.
It seems that Mr. Gormezano spends the bulk of his time bothering and harassing others so the thought of him sending me unsolicited email make me angry. However part of me (the part who can help but laugh at it all) can't wait to see what he has to say. I will keep you posted.