Friday, March 16, 2007

Field Report: Bathroom Habits

I moved to a new cubicle two weeks ago. I am adjusting to the new spot and actually like it more than I thought I would. The main drawback is my close proximity to the bathrooms. I hear the toilet flush what seems like hundreds of times each day. And it's surprising to me some of the things that I have noticed about the bathroom habits of my colleagues. Some notes that I have made:
  • The men turn the bathroom light off when they leave the bathroom, the women do not. (This also turns the fan off, which I thought most people appreciated in a bathroom.)
  • My male colleagues visit the bathroom more often during the day than my female colleagues.
  • There are more conversations in the ladies room than in the men's room.
  • I have noted that several of my male colleague will divert their plan of going to the bathroom if they see someone else entering the bathroom before them . They will do something else and enter the bathroom a few minutes later. There is room to accommodate more than one so it makes me wonder if they have performance anxiety?
  • The drinking fountain (located directly between the 2 restrooms) is used by the men more than the women. (This may explain the reason for additional trips to the bathroom.)
Well lunch break is over now. Back to work. Happy Friday!

No comments: