Monday, January 14, 2008

War Against Pink

I remember when Yoplait began their campaign to Save Lids to Save Lives campaign year ago, I carefully cleaned my lids and at the end of the month filled an envelope and sent them off to Yoplait. I was so proud that I was doing something to help the fight against breast cancer.

As a marketing person I have to admit that I thought the Yoplait campaign was a very clever one but that was before everyone else in the world jumped on the bandwagon. The infiltration of pink over the past years has just become too much for me to deal with. During Breast Cancer Awareness month last year I was shocked by the sheer numbers of products turning pink in the name of fighting cancer and began to get suspicious about how much money was really going to breast cancer research.

This morning I was reading one of my regular blog reads, A Sizeable Apple and noted an article she had written about the same thing. She refers to a website titled Think Before You Pink which exposes the real truth behind many of the pink campaigns out there including the amount of money donated and the company's commitment, or lack of, creating safe products. It's shocking how little money is being donated from many of these campaigns when you think about the sheer volume of sales generated. I will certainly use this as a tool when decided whether to buy pink products or not in the future.

No comments: