Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Career Dreams of Days Gone By

When I returned to my desk following lunch today a small gift wrapped box was sitting on my chair. The wrapping paper was covered with *road construction* icons and clip art. There was a note attached which read....

"A special gift just for you! May all your dreams come true!"

I ripped the paper off the box and opened the box and inside found 3 highway lane markers (see picture). I immediately burst into laughter because this gift was clearly from someone who remembered the following story from my childhood.

When I was about 10 years old my family traveled to southern California for a vacation. With bright eyes I stared out the window and saw small circular lane markers. When I asked my parents what they were I was instructed that they made noise when you ran over them to wake people up if they fell asleep and I thought the entire concept was brilliant. I then asked why they were not on the roads in Utah and my parents told me that if they put them on the roads in Utah the snowplows would "pop" them up every year. I couldn't believe the injustice of it all. I was furious that the people living in Utah would be deprived of the opportunity to have these lane markers simply because it snowed there. So, I announced, "When I grow up I am going to be the person that puts the those doo-hickey's on the road." My parents chuckled. Since then I am occasionally reminded by family and friends that know this story of my lofty career plans, hence today's gift.

Now I just have to decided what to do with them. I placed them on the floor in a straight line creating an imaginary line at the entrance to my cubicle which I thought was clever, but I don't think that others would find it amusing. So they are currently sitting on my desk. Any ideas?

No comments: