Friday, June 01, 2007

June begins in a whirlwind

I hope the rest of the month of June is a bit more relaxed that today was. WOW! It was a bit nuts.

I was up at 5:00 a.m. to finish packing, load the car and head to the office. While loading my luggage into the car I noted that my hand felt wet so I wiped it on my pants and kept going. When I got in the car I realized that I had sliced the thumb on my left hand open and my hand had been wet with blood. I was already driving down my driveway so I decided to handle it when I arrived at the office but it wouldn't stop bleeding so I drove to work with my right hand on the steering wheel and my left hand in a fist. When I arrived at the office I quickly cleaned it up and then attended to everything that required my attention and was on the road to Spokane for the Washington State P.E.O. Convention at 8:40 a.m.

It took me nearly 50 minutes to drive the I-405 loop to merge with I-90 and I suddenly started to panic that I was going to be late. But once I was safely on I-90 I relaxed a bit. I stopped to get gas in Issaquah and headed up the mountains, due east. About this time a got a call from Don letting me know that he was leaving Seattle and would be just 40 or so minutes behind me.

The drive was uneventful, which is good. It was great to drive and think and drive and sing along with my iPod and drive and think and drive and drive. I think you get the idea! I love road trips and I love being in the car alone, it's awesome thinking time. I arrived in Spokane without stopping at 1:10 p.m. and took the detour that was marked along the interstate.

This is where the real FUN began.

In hindsight I realize that I missed a critical left turn onto Spokane Falls Blvd. But for nearly 40 minutes I drove around the city of Spokane and Spokane Valley trying to find my way. I was due in my first session at 2:00 p.m but at that time I had stopped for directions and was heading frantically towards the hotel. Don ended up arriving at the hotel before I did and was awful curious that I hadn't checked in yet. We connected in the lobby and check-in to the room and parted ways - Don to the room to sleep and me to sneak into my session a bit more than wee late.

The session buzzed by. I calmed down from the being lost and driving and adventure of the day and remembered why I am here. I am here because this organization means a great deal to me. I am here to connect with sisters from other chapters and get energized about the phenomenal impact that P.E.O. makes on woman around the world. I am so glad that I am here!

Following the session I rescued my car for the valet and got my luggage. I went up the room and set my stuff down, grabbed my laptop and headed to the bar to give Don a chance to sleep a bit longer. I ordered a beer, connected my computer to the wireless network and am SOOO happy!

We will be imbibing at one of my favorite Spokane hot spots tonight. And then the rest of the weekend will be chock full of P.E.O. It's over 90 degrees and sunny in Spokane! :-)

I hope you have a fabulous weekend, wherever you are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your conference. I know that you had been looking forward to this for quite sometime.