Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend Wrap-up

Oh, how I love holiday weekends! I had a great weekend, some of the highlights include.

I worked from home on Friday and my workday ended a bit earlier than so that Katharine, Don and I could catch the premier of Pirates of the Carribean - At World's End. Neither Don or I had seen the Pirates of the Carribean - Dead Man's Chest so we watched it Thursday evening in preparation for the Friday movie. I quite liked both films and it was really fun to see a movie on opening day which I haven't done for a number of years. We then had a yummy dinner of gargantuan proportions on the deck at Claim Jumper - Alderwood Mall. I arrived home just after 9:30 p.m, immediately put on my pajama's and was sound asleep by 10:00 p.m.

I had a somewhat leisurely Saturday morning including catching up with my RSS feeds, drinking coffee and enjoying the sun and my newly potted plant on my deck. I did a quick load of laundry to solve the "no clean underwear" problem, showered and left around 12:30 p.m. to head to my brother's home in Port Orchard. They had 12 cu ft of dirt and 10 cu ft of bark dumped in their driveway on Thursday afternoon and were in the process of undertaking a huge renovation of the back yard. He immediately put me to work and within a few hours I was quite proficient at "driving a wheelbarrow" (it's not as easy as it looks.) After "the cutest nephew in the world woke up from his nap I wasn't much for helping with the project because we had a lot of playing and talking to catch up on. We finished up around 6:00 p.m. and after a quick stop for gas and an Iced Coffee at Starbucks I was headed back for the city. Upon arriving back in Queen Anne, I ran by the grocery store and picked up some essentials and food for the week and then headed home. After a long, warm shower I enjoyed a BLT sandwich and caught up on my recorded TV for the week.

I awoke on Sunday morning to rain. I was disappointed at first especially when I realized how cold it was outside. I made a pot of coffee, closed the windows and crawled back into bed where I fell back asleep for another few hours. Upon waking again, I popped one of my NetFlix movies into the DVD player. The Mutiny of The Bounty was only in my queue because I'm still working towards watching all of the movies that have even won the Oscar for Best Picture. I went into it not knowing what to expect and LOVED it, which saying a lot since I am not a fan of Clark Gable. Following the movie I spent a couple of hours on the internet reading articles about the story behind the mutiny, the mutineers, Pitcairn Island and the ships created for the movie. (And Don, the population is 45!)

By then it was 3:00 p.m. and I decided that it was time to take a shower and do something productive. And at 4:00 p.m. I decided that I had put my laundry off as long as possible. Due to the great car saga of 2007, I had only been doing loads here and there just to "get by" because I couldn't get to the laundry room. I packed it all up carried it to the car and took it to the Queen Anne Laundry Room. Two hours and 5 loads (probably 8 in a regular sized machine) I drove home and put everything away. It had been weeks since every single piece of clothing that I owned was clean, it felt great. I then threw together a new dinner concoction of Asparagus and Ricotta stuffed Ravioli with Asparagus spears in a light cream sauce and watched another movie from my NetFlix queue.

Monday morning I woke up threw on work-out clothes and headed to the top of the hill to pick up Suzie and we went to Green Lake to walk. I desperately needed a bathroom when we arrived at the lake but the Community Center was locked so we started around the lake and by the time we made it to the wading pool and the first available bathroom I was ready to burst. We finished our walk and on the way home Don called to ask if I felt like drinking beer on a deck for the bulk of the afternoon. HELLO! YES!

I had planted some outdoor flowers for Katherine so we drove to Bothell to drop them off at her place and then headed to Bell Street Diner where we spent the bulk of the afternoon and early evening enjoying the boats, drinking beer, enjoying the sun, drinking beer, enjoying yummy food and drinking beer! It was an absolutely perfect Memorial Day!

Hope you had a great weekend too!

No comments: