Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Triumphant Day!

On October 27, 2006 I made a bet with a colleague. Today is 1/31/07 and marks the end of the bet.

It was a busy and hectic Friday afternoon following a busy and hectic morning. I was emailing back and forth with a colleague about a frustrating situation with another colleague. I had assessed the situation and drawn my own conclusion and was solid in my conclusion yet she continued to encourage me to reevaluate the situation and hope for "lemonade." I have not always been the best judge of character but I come from a family of people that are very good at it. I tend to be a bit wishy-washy when making judgement calls on another persons character because I always want to see *the best* in others. I don't know why I was so convicted about this situation but I wasn't the least bit wishy-washy. I was incredibly convinced that I was right so when she presented the following challenge, I was in!

"So this is what happens in my life: I assess people slowly, giving benefit of the doubt for a long time. Other people assess those same people very quickly (you and my daughter), and while I think there's a rush to judgment, lo and behold, the great majority of the time, you/they are right. With that said, loser pays for the drinks. Let's see who is right on 1/30/07, and if I'm wrong, I buy yours and vice versa."

So today is judgement day, 1/30/07, and I was right. I have won the bet and in just 2 1/2 short hours I will be enjoying drinks and appetizers while I gloat a bit. :-)

The unfortunate thing about the situation is that I would be much happier at work had I lost this bet.

No comments: