Sunday, December 31, 2006

Both Sides Now

The end of yet another year bring a time of reflection about the past year and more. And a chance to think about the future from a slightly different angle. Tomorrow begins a whole new year and I wonder what is in store for me.

I recall a conversation with my sister several years ago when she shared with me that she has gone back throughout her life and defined each year with a single word or phrase to sum the activities, experiences and lessons learned for the year. As a result of that conversation I often do the same at the end of each year. I have yet to go back through my life and define the theme for each year but my theme's from the past few years are:

2002 - Cancer
2003 - Raw
2004 - Where do I go from here?
2005 - A new life

This has been an amazing year for me. I welcomed my first nephew into the world. I learned a tremendous amount about myself. I succeeded at work. I did very well in school. I have nurtured and loved those around me. I have seen the best in others. I have seen the worst in others. I have been hurt. I marked another year in a cancer free life. And I am a better person for it all.

I always thought that the song Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell was kinda stupid. I heard it again this fall and had a whole new appreciation for it. I have seen the world from both sides now and although I sometimes miss seeing it as a child, I appreciate the lessons that seeing it as an adult have taught me and realize that even with that knowledge every year brings surprises and changes that I really can't anticipate.

Tears and fears and feeling proud to say "I love you" right out loud,
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds, I've looked at life that way.
But now old friends are acting strange, they shake their heads, they say I've changed.
Something's lost but something's gained in living every day.

I've looked at life from both sides now,
From win and lose, and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall.
I really don't know life at all.


So now I head into 2007. I don't know how it will all end but I have a few things that I hope are big parts of 2007 including learning and growing at work, succeeding at school, spending time with friends that I adore, watching my nephew grow and taking it all one day at a time.

Happy New Year!

No comments: