Wednesday, November 29, 2006

It feels like Christmas now

I finished putting up the Christmas tree tonight. I love my Christmas tree. Setting up the tree is always a long task and it seemed to take an extra long time this year, but I love it once it’s set up. I set up the tree alone this year, which is my preference. I love digging into the ornament box and upwrapping an ornament only to wonder which one it will be. I sometimes forget about some of them and seeing them brings back a flood of memories. I really enjoyed reflecting on the people, place and events in my life that are represented in the many ornaments on my tree. This year I added ornaments from the Northern California and Las Vegas in honor of some of my travels this year. Some of my favorite ornaments include:

  • A handmade ornament of a nurse that is personalized with my name and the year 1989 in celebration of my first nursing job.
  • An ornament that was a gift to my Grandma Harriet by one of the staff members at the nursing facility where she spent her final Christmas.
  • A glass ball with Santa and his reindeer flying over the New York skyline that I bought during a trip to New York City for Thanksgiving 1998.
  • Numerous angel ornaments that I have collected over the years that were too Christmasy or sweet to end up in the bathroom.
  • Handmade snowflake ornaments from a Christmas bazaar at my former church.
  • Many star ornaments that I began collecting long before I was a PEO and the star had a whole new meaning to me.
  • The Hallmark Keepsake collection Lighthouse ornaments that I have collected for years.
  • The hand-painted glass ornament collection that my parents started for each of us a few years ago. They add a new ornament every year.

After I finished setting up the tree I turned all the lights out (except the tree, of course) and sat on the couch with a cup of peppermint tea and Christmas music on in the background and just took it all in. I love Christmas!

No comments: