Monday, July 13, 2009

Neglected News

I have been neglecting my blog for many months now. No "real" entries. No "Weekend Wrap-Up" posts. Nothing but quiz results, video links and the occasional photo. I can think of a million reasons why and I could feel guilty about it but I'm not going to let myself fall into that trap. It simply hasn't been a priority.

There are some notable things going on in my world that are worthy of being reported on and I'm suddenly feeling the urge to share so it seemed time to pull a post together.

In 11 days I leave on an adventure with Habitat for Humanity. I will be traveling with a group through the Global Village program to work with Habitat affiliate in Kauai (Hawaii). I started the process back in December (2008) by completing my application was matched with several trips including Honduras, Argentina and Kauai. I was intrigued about the idea of traveling to central/south America and experiencing such a different culture than my own but through the application and interview process it became clear that the Kauai team was where I belonged. I clicked with the team leaders immediately and knew that my skill set would be best paired with the team they were building. It became official on January 22 when I received my invitation to the Kauai team and thus began the prepping and planning. The time has just flown by and I can't believe that it’s already nearly time to leave. Is it really July already?

I am very excited about the trip and also a little bit nervous about the unknown elements as I've never done anything like this before. I am fortunate to have the love and support of a great network of friends and family members who have been unbelievably supportive. I sincerely appreciate all of your love, encouragement, prayers, emails, phone calls, talks and cards. Thank you seems inadequate, I am sincerely grateful.

I will try to post some photos and short updates from my phone while on site but I have no idea if that will be feasible. I do intend to take lots of pictures and share my experiences here after my return.

Don will be flying to Kauai to join me following my time with Habitat and we will be vacationing for a week which means that I will be gone from home for 17 days! Which is something that I am both excited and terrified about; 17 days is a long time!

My brain has been swimming with millions of little details for weeks now to the point that it was driving me mad. On Friday I created a list (actually 3 lists) that are truly "working lists" and it has put my mind at ease that I won't forget anything or forget to do anything before I go.

Work has fallen into the same space with lists and tasks and loose ends that I would like to have completed by the time I leave. I have a few deals that are just "hanging" out there and I can't seem to get them closed. I know that no matter what I do they will close after I'm gone, it always works that way, and I don't know why this time would be different. I was on the phone with a consultant today who travels for extended periods of time often and he reminded me that it will "all get done whether it happens now or later, it all gets done eventually." Oh, how right he is!

No comments: