Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Thanksgiving in Utah - the wrap-up

This post has been sitting in my "draft" box for over a month now. I didn't think it was a good idea to post it at the time I wrote it since I was very angry, hurt, upset, disappointed. However, a month has passed and I still feel angry, hurt, upset, disappointed so that is likely not going to change and I figure that I neglected my blog long enough and its time to POST THE DAMN THING.

So without further ado... My Thanksgiving, in bullet points. Warning: family drama ahead.

I spent Thanksgiving in Utah with my family. I haven't been home for a holiday since moving to Seattle in February 2005 and now I remember why. It was busy, crazy and TONS of work. I was looking forward to spending time with my siblings and step-siblings which turned out to be a disastrous combination. I learned that the things I appreciate in a holiday celebration are not things that my family does well. I love them, but drama free family gatherings just aren't our thing. Here are the highlights:
  • I had dinner at Dave & Kristen's prior to leaving so I could pick up some things that they wanted taken in the car.
  • The cutest nephew in the world taught me all about the Wonder Pets.
  • I learned how to put chains on my tires.
  • Packed and got ready for the drive.
  • Picked up my first Egg Nog Latte of the season in Ellensburg, Washington en route to Salt Lake City.
  • Made the drive in 12 hours and 40 minutes, which isn't bad considering that my stops had to include potty time for Barney.
  • Met with clients at 2 hospitals in the Salt Lake Valley and uploaded the latest software in their machines.
  • Had lunch with my Dad at Mimi's Cafe.
  • Met my Mom at Harmon's to pick up some random items for the Thanksgiving feast.
  • Enjoyed a quiet dinner with Mom, Rick and Jimmy.
  • Helped Mom with the grocery list for the big shopping trip.
  • Drank beer and ate lunch with my Mom and step-Dad at Red Rock prior to the trip to the airport to pick up the family.
  • Got in a fight via cell phone with my brother Dave who was, in my opinion, being a stubborn ass.
  • Made up with Dave later in the evening.
  • Loved having story time with the cutest nephew in the world.
  • Wore "Fuck Cancer" t-shirts (Mom and I) on Wednesday while cooking because that sums up our feelings on the subject and it was the 6-year anniversary of the end of chemo for me. (We took pictures which I promise to post.)
  • Went with "the girls" to have pedicures.
  • Made the decision to paint my toenails orange in honor of the OSU Beavers.
  • Cooked and cooked and cooked and when that was done, we cooked some more.
  • Found out that I am a "bitch" for making my dog behave. Siblings can be so helpful for personal insights.
  • Ate Chinese food at the "kids table" on the night before Thanksgiving thoroughly enjoyed my nephew Gabe, who is a crack-up and a bit obsessed with Bruce Banner.
  • Collapsed into bed, completely exhausted.
  • Bravely opened 2 packages of Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls.
  • Watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade with the cutest nephew in the world. I think I made him a forever parade fan.
  • Stuffed the turkey and got it roasting.
  • Cooked and cooked and cooked so more.
  • Found out that I was a "bitch" yet again for trying to get everything on the table at the same time.
  • Taught my step-Dad's cousin how to make Crescent rolls. I thought they were "self-explanatory," apparently I was wrong.
  • Finally sat down at 10:00 p.m. when my Cuz (Karri) and BFF Jenna came over for pie and some girl time.
  • Bravely opened more packages of Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls.
  • Celebrated my Mom's 63rd birthday with her by shopping and running errands.
  • Enjoyed catching up with friends and many of my Salt Lake P.E.O. sisters at the open-house in honor of my Mom's birthday.
  • Cleaned up from the party with the help of Jenna.
  • Packed the car, again with more help from Jenna. Why she puts up with my family drama after all these year, I'll never know.
  • Fell into bed, again totally exhausted and tried to sleep but only managed to get 3 hours in.
  • Left Salt Lake super early so that I could be home in time for the Civil War game.
  • Arrived home in Seattle exhausted, but so happy to be home.
  • Watching the Civil War game with Don and ate the yummy dinner he had made.
  • Yelled at my father after his "thanks for including us but we won't ever come again" call.
  • Proclaimed that I will never again paint my toe nails orange as it clearly didn't help the Beavs.
  • Slept in my own bed and got 12 hours of wonderful sleep.
  • Spend Sunday organizing, unpacking and finishing up the Christmas decorating.
  • Spent the next week or so trying to recover from the emotional, physical and mental exhaustion of the trip.
My Mom was thrilled to have the whole family home for a big holiday and she had a ball despite the drama. I don't know how she does it. She thrives on chaos, it exhausts me. Hope your holiday was filled with a bit less drama than mine.

No comments: