Thursday, July 31, 2008

Surviving July

July has been a whirlwind of a month. I've been a bit more quiet that usual in the blogging department, not from a lack of anything going on but rather the opposite. Most of the month, I've barely been keeping it together.

In June my sales territory at work increased to the entire country (United States). This meant more customers, more calls and generally more work, but overall it has been manageable. What has made it all the more difficult are the "special projects" that I have been assigned and extra tasks from several of the teams that I am on. In addition, I'm training a new staff person, which is worth every minute I spend, but is time consuming. I work hard every day, and yet the task list keeps growing.

My wise Mom has always said, "When your work life is crazy and your home life is good, you're okay. When your home life is crazy and your work life is good, you're okay. But when both are crazy, life is hell." Oh, what wise words.

I didn't anticipate much happening on the "home front" this summer and knew that work would be busy and challenging and was okay with it. But then things on the "home front" fell apart. My Mom, who successfully beat breast cancer in her left breast 5 years ago, had a routine mammogram on Wednesday, July 2, which revealed a mass in her right breast. She underwent a needle biopsy the following day and on Monday, July 7 and was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer with possible lymph node involvement. After consultation with her physicians she decided to have a total mastectomy which occurred on Monday, July 21st. On Wednesday, July 23rd the final biopsy results came back and the cancer has not spread to her lymph nodes. Thank God!

I drove from to Salt Lake City on July 24th to help around the house and take care of her for the first few days she was home from the hospital. She is doing really well. Her pain is under control and she is up and about, although not moving quite as quickly as usual. ;-)

Throughout the month I have been moved to tears several times by the outpouring of love and support that we have received. The phone calls, emails, cards, flowers, prayers, meals, and hugs have meant the world and I have been reminded once again about the true power of friendship.

As I was pulling into Salt Lake last Thursday with my iPod on shuffle, the song, With a Little Help from My Friends by The Beatles came on and I think it says it best. I couldn't have survived this month without the help of friends.

One more day and July will be in the history books, I'm hoping August is a bit less stressful.

No comments: