Monday, June 30, 2008

Draft Folder Clean-Up

I just realized that my Drafts folder is filled with half-written, never posted update on recent happenings in my life. Also, it's been a while since posted a bunch of random stuff all together, so here goes.

Originally titled: I can see clearly now!

I've made a couple of references to surgery that I've had recently and wanted to share a bit more about it. I had eye surgery to treat posterior capsule opacity (a.k.a. secondary cataract) on Tuesday, June 10th. The procedure is called a YAG Laser Capsulotomy and by surgery standards is pretty easy as I was able to eat and drink prior to the surgery, didn't have to deal with anesthesia or extensive pain and was back to normal within a few days.

The surgery itself was a breeze. They strapped my head into a harness which holds the laser and I had to stare at a bright light and hold very still during the procedure. The doctor had explained it all to me but I had the distinct impression that the laser would only be fired a few times, certainly less than 10, but that was a misconception because it got 96 blasts to my left eye and 104 to my right. Following the blasts the nurse rinsed my eyes thoroughly with a saline eye bath and they sent me on my way. Don arranged to work from home so he was able to drive me and then stay with me while I recovered. I had a mild headache and slept for a couple of hours immediately after getting home. When I woke, my eyes were still a bit dilated but I could already see improvement. Over the next few days it just got better and better.

I saw the doctor for a follow-up appointment one week after surgery he was extremely pleased with the results, as am I. My vision is back to the nearly normal place it was following my cataract surgery 5 years ago. I'm absolutely amazed by everything I see, it's all so shiny and bright and pretty. The one thing that I wish I hadn't seen... the age spots, freckles and wrinkles on my face, getting old isn't pretty.

Originally titled: Dancing Round the World

Famous dancer and fellow Seattleite Matt Harding has just finished his latest world travel dancing video, you can see it below. He became a YouTube success in 2006 when he posted his first dancing video which shows him doing a goofy dance in cities and countries around the world. I saw if for the first time a couple of years ago and started reading his blog on a regular basis. He has a great sense of humor and always makes me laugh, plus I love that he is doing something that he is passionate about and he's from Seattle.

Matt and his girlfriend just returned home from another amazing journey and his new video is filled with another great collection of clips, and this time the locals are dancing with him in many of the shots. It's awesome, way to go Matt!



Originally titled: Long live the 3-day weekend

Due to rising gas prices the company that I work for has made the decision to offer employees the opportunity to work four 10-hour days, instead of the typical five 8-hour days. We realize that our customers shouldn't be forced to adhere to this schedule so it took some juggling to make sure that every department would be covered Monday - Friday and once that was approved we were able to start our new schedules on Monday, June 23rd. I now work Monday through Thursday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., which I am thrilled about. More importantly this means that every weekend is a 3-day weekend! Hooray!

I was a bit worried about a 10-hour workday but I did fine the first week, the days went by quickly and I found that I was actually a whole lot more productive that during an 8-hour day where everything seems more condensed. Where I did note the difference was in my evening plans and activities, since I am now home later and leaving earlier, I have less time at home to get stuff done during the week, but I have to remember that is was the extra day is for. I have a whole laundry list of things that I want to do with my new day off, including:
  • Clean out the storage room
  • Clean old clothes, shoes, etc out of my closet
  • Do some volunteer work
  • Visit Seattle neighborhoods where I haven't spent much time
  • Visit some museums
  • Take long walks
I'm anxious to see how I feel about this change in a couple of months and see if I have accomplished anything on my list as a result.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay! your new schedule sounds awesome. I wish I could do that. Unfortunately, I have to work 5 10 hour days :(

Have fun with the extra time!!