Friday, March 26, 2010

Happy Birthday Ricker!


Thanksgiving in Utah, originally uploaded by JewellsinSEA.

Today is a milestone day for my step-dad Rick as he marks his 70th birthday! Rick has been a part of my life for 13 years and for 13 years I've called him "Ricker." He is a very kind, loving, thoughtful man, who makes my Mom amazingly happy. When you ask Ricker a question you more than likely will receive a giggle which we have nicknamed the U.R.R. (the Universal Ricker Response). But don't let that fool you, it is not that he is unengaged or not compelled to answer, he is just thinking it over.

Since I have no idea what it is like to turn 70, I thought I'd share the words of one who has:
"I have achieved my seventy years in the usual way, by sticking strictly to a scheme of life which would kill anybody else....I will offer here, as a sound maxim, this: That we can't reach old age by another man's road."
--Mark Twain
At his seventieth birthday dinner, in 1905, as quoted in Saving Your Brain, by Jeff Victoroff.

Ricker, you have certainly taken your "own" road to this point and I have no doubt that you will continue the same way.  I hope you have a amazing birthday and the next decade of your life is filled with love, adventure and many happy memories.

Happy Birthday! I love you!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Aw, that's beautiful Jewells!!