Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Why I Hate Valentine's Day!

It's Valentine's Day, one of my least favorite day of the year. When I mention my hatred of Valentine's Day to others they are always taken aback. Perhaps it's because I seem like an unlikely hater of a holiday that celebrates professing love, after all I have been known as "sap on tap" for a number of years. :-) I love the essence of Valentine's Day. It's wonderful to celebrate the people in our lives that love us and we love in return. What has killed the *Valentine Spirit* for me is the pressure. There is so much pressure to be romantic that it can come across totally wrong and forced, and it's way too commercialized. Nothing says "I am clueless about you" like a cheesy stuffed animal, candy conversation hearts or a heart shaped box of chocolates.

I was able to verbalize my true feeling about Valentine's Day to a total stranger turned friend at the Laundromat tonight when I said, "I am a very loved person, I know that. I don't need flowers, candy or dinner in a crowded restaurant to have that fact solidified for me."

In that spirit I hope that wherever you are today and however you spent the day that you take a minute to remember the people you love and that love you in return. And go ahead and tell them you love them, but don't do it because it's Valentine's Day, do it as you would any other day of the year!

No comments: